BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Thursday, April 15, 2010


Eddie Guerrero, one of my favorite WWE wrestlers passed away. He died in the bathroom of his hotel room in Minniapolis with a toothbrush in his hand. Not by alcohol, drugs or other things that were going through my mind, but from massive heart failure brought on by years of substance abuse. Eddie had been clean and sober for four years now and had recently celebrated that achievement. Now I've had my fair share for drug experimentation, but I've never went over board with it. It's safe to say for me that I really don't have a need for it anymore. For someone like Eddie to turn his life around for his own greater good then all of a sudden die, well, I don't think life is really fair.
Eddie was at the prime of his career in the world of professional wrestling. It had been rumored that he was going to have a second title run with the company (for those that don't know, yes, wrestling is scripted. And when the higher ups behind that curtain have faith in a wrestler to put the title on him, that's a big deal in this world of entertainment. That means they feel confident that he's good enough to carry the company help earn the WWE money).
Eddie was a very entertaining character. The writers in the WWE had always tried to make Eddie a "heel" (the bad guy). But fans like me had always cheered for the bad guy, so no matter how bad they made Eddie looked, we just wouldn't buy it and cheered even louder. Eddie's motto in the ring was to "lie, cheat and steal" for a victory. One of his most common tactics was to grab that ever present steel chair when the ref wasn't looking, toss it to his opponent, lay down on the canvas as he was knocked out by it. The ref would turn around, see what had happend and see Eddie's opponent with the "smoking gun" and disqualifies him and give Eddie the victory. He would shoot the crowd (and the camera) that sly grin and we would just eat it up!
The Guerrero family is a wrestling family. From Eddie's papi and grand papi, to his brothers and cousins. All had made there way into the wrestling ring, but only Eddie achieved the big fame that eluded the rest. There's a second Guerrero on the WWE roster and that's his nephew Chavo - who in my opinion is on equal caliber with Eddie. They teamed as a tag-team - were funny as hell - and were also opponents. His family legacy will always live on, go Chavito!
On the WWE's broadcast shows of RAW (on the USA Network) and Smackdown (on UPN), his friends and other wrestlers paid tribute to his legacy as a performer and as a man. They put on wrestling matches and between the matches, they gave their own personal tributes to the man. This was one of the most tear-jerking shows I've seen on TV. I'm guessing because this time, it was REAL. Real emotion, real passion and real love for Eddie.
Outside the ring, he was a family man that loved his wife, mother and his 3 daughters. I'm gonna miss this guy, I don't know him, but he entertained the hell outta me. I'm gonna miss his entrance into the arena with those cool low-riders and I'm gonna miss his antics. Rest it Peace Eddie, Viva La Raza!

0 comments: